Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scales and Modes etc

I love guitar to death, but my skills are somewhat limited.
I don't know that many modes or scale. I do know pentatonic,blues, major,minor,dorian and harmonic minor,( maybe a lil' bit of phrygian dominant).
I cannot sweep pick.I cannot play super super fast. I cannot sing and play heavy,fast riff the same time like Hetfield or Mustaine. That to me is the ultimate shit. Bass players that can sing (eg sting,tom araya,lemmy etc) is much much more cooler to me. Damn thats very hard.
Mainly I am a rhythm guitarist. Thats what I do best. Playing riffs is my ultimate satisfaction. Thats why I admire guys like Hetfield,Gossard,Mustaine,Izzy Stradlin,The Edge and bands like soungarden,audioslave,VR bands that are riff oriented. I've also notice many of my favourite players like Jack White (white stripes), Chris Cornell (soundgarden.audioslave) and even Dick Dale started out as drummers. They have time and rhythm, hence are great guitar players.
Flash is great, but feel and melody is always the best.
But I do love guitar solos, I've always love Satriani,Friedman,Vai,Hendrix,Kenny Wayne,Slash,Dimebag and my favourite Kirk Hammett. I love solos that are meaningful and played tastefully. Something hooky, with great phrasing, note choices and dynamics. Not just speed all the way, like Yngwie's playing now.
Melody is another thing that is great. Players like Slash can pack full emotion in his solos.
The bottom line is if your solos is remembered and crowd can even sing them, you've made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment