Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dave Mustaine and Metallica Kiss and Make Up

Dave Mustaine and Metallica Kiss and Make Up

by Paul Cashmere - March 2 2009
photo by Ros O'Gorman

If you thought hell froze over when the Eagles got back together, well here is something for the devil to put his ski boots on again for. Dave Mustaine and Metallica are friends again.

Mustaine had a short stint in Metallica for two years from 1981.

Next month Metallica will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and have buried the hatchet to invite Mustaine to join them.

He cannot, due to touring commitments, but published a letter to the band at his official website.

He says:

“Metallica, as you know has been selected to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (on April 4th). So, it is with much respect that I say congratulations!

I also had the nice surprise of hearing that they called to invite me to the pre-ceremony party the night before, and then to the actual ceremony. Unfortunately as you all know, I will be winding down our European tour with Judas Priest so I will be unable to attend.

However, I’d like to say to Lars (Ulrich) and James (Hetfield), I am so very proud of all you have accomplished. I will continue to pray for the very best for you and your families as I always have.

Thank you for the invitation and thinking of me.

Respectfully yours,
Dave Mustaine”

Mustaine co-wrote four of the songs on ‘Kill Em All’ and two on ‘Ride The Lightning’. He claims to have written ‘Leper Messiah’ from Master of Puppets but is uncredited. He also claims it was his idea to turn the children’s song ‘Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep’ into a Metallica song. Years later they did just that with ‘Enter Sandman’.

Mustaine was fired from Metallica for his alcoholism and drug abuse that led to fights with James and Lars.

No comments:

Post a Comment